If, like me, you thought all coasters were the same functionally, you could not be more wrong! Coasters don’t just serve as an item to keep your drink on. They faithfully hold your glasses in place and prevent them from sliding on to the floor.
Perhaps the most important function of a holder is to prevent condensation on cold glass or heat from a hot one from wrecking the table underneath.
Coasters also serve to elevate your drinks (literally!) and can be used as an attractive piece of decor.
I have rounded up a dozen of the best coasters, each for its own unique features and functionality, and across a range of styles, including marble, ceramic, and silicone options.
Read on to know what appeals to you, and then buy one to take your drinking and decor game to a whole new level!
Our Top Picks
1. Blomus Lareto Coaster Set
Blomus Lareto Coaster Set comes as a set of 6 coasters and with the trademark German finish and quality. Made of silicone, these are a fuss-free option leaving no watermarks on your table. They won’t stick to your glass either, making it easy for you to pick your drink off them and sip away!
These coasters come in a nice, circular shape to hold your glasses compactly.
These non-stick half a dozen silicone coasters come with a stainless steel holder. Each of these coasters measures 4.5 inches in diameter. They weigh 11.9 ounces. Silicone coasters are a great pick if you are keen on protecting your furniture as this material will shield the table from water and won’t scratch the surface of the table either.
- Won’t leave water rings
- Won’t stick to your cups or glasses
- Attractive shape
- The silicone coasters are dishwasher-friendly
- Easy to clean
- Protects furniture from scratches
- Much more expensive
- Dust tends to gather
2. Editor’s pick: Thirstystone Desert Sand Multicolor All Natural Sandstone Coaster
Think quality and natural coasters, and Thirstystone is the brand that comes to mind. You will fall in love with them, and once you have gone for Thirstystone, you will allow no other coaster to grace your precious glasses!
These coasters do the unimaginable- protect your table, absorb water efficiently while looking stylish too.
Thirstystone Desert coasters come in the serene and gorgeous look of natural sandstone. Thanks to this natural sandstone, these coasters devor the condensed fluids from your drink, not allowing them to spill over onto your table. The natural cork backing of these sandstones protects your table from scuffs and scratches too.
These coasters also serve as a shield against heat and work just as well as a trivet, when you are having a drink to go with your food during dinner.
Each coaster measures 4 inches in diameter and one-half-inch thick and weighs a pound. You can easily lift your cups and drink because the cups placed over the coasters don’t stick against them.
- The natural sandstone material is durable, absorbent and non-sticky
- Looks very charming and attractive
- Protects your furniture from scratches
- Won’t leave water rings
- Work great with both cold and hot beverages
- The coasters can be rather heavy in comparison
- Some users faced problems with these coasters not absorbing water over time.
3. ENKORE Set of 6 Coasters For Drinks
These silicone coasters do a great job of protecting your cherished furniture items from liquid drips and spills and scratches. They are dishwasher safe, so you can clean them easily too.
Good for hot and cold drinks, they come in 4 colors apart from the customary black: coffee, gray, blue, and rainbow.
Rather than the traditional 4-inch diameter, these oversized coasters come in 4.3 inches and only weigh 0.5 pounds, so you can fit all types of glasses and cups in them. Heck, even the 34 oz. Moscow Mule Mugs fit in them snugly!
They are very affordable and feature deeper groove patterns on both sides. These will protect your furniture from condensation from cold beverages. Moreover, they can also act as a trivet to your bowl of soup.
- Made of durable silicone that can cling to any surface
- Larger than the average coaster, they can hold any cups, glasses, or mugs
- Dishwasher safe
- They are more wooden surface friendly than sandstone
- Doesn’t score on looks -not the most attractive or stylish option
4. DuoMuo Coaster Vinyl Record Disk Coasters
If you are looking for something a bit offbeat, Record Disc Coasters from DuoMuo is a great choice! Made from silicone, they are fuss-free and will protect your table from scratches and hot and cold liquids.
They hardly weigh a quarter of a pound and come as a set of 6 funny, quirky and 80s retro music theme coasters.
With the distinctive design of retro vinyl records, these coasters make stunning decor for your home bar, or you can gift them too!
- Quirky, interesting, and fun coasters
- Light in weight
- For hot and cold beverages
- Lacking in functionality
- Many users raised complaints that the condensation that runs off the glass just slips through the hole and sides of the coaster
5. LIFVER 6-Piece Absorbent Ceramic Drink Coasters
These coasters are similar to Thirstystone in that they protect the table and effectively absorb liquid while looking gorgeous and elevating your interior design.
These porcelain coasters soak up liquid almost as effectively as a sponge. Further, the water that is absorbed into the porcelain evaporates in no time. Whisk…, and it’s all gone without giving you any worry over mold and must!
Weighing 1.2 pounds and measuring 4 inches in diameter, made of ceramic and printed with a geometric design. Plus, the slip-resistant cork base protects the furniture from moisture from ice cold drinks, heat from hot coffee cups, and scratches and scuffs.
- Made from ceramic, it is cute and attractive
- Strong spills absorption which absorbs spills in 5 to 10 seconds
- Backed with a slip-resistant cork that prevents scratches to the furniture
- Prone to stains, may be difficult to clean
- Breakable if not handled carefully
6. Teivio Absorbing Stone Mandala Coasters
Trivio Mandala porcelain coasters will brighten up your dining room and add charm, color, and elegance to it. Where coasters sets usually come as 6 pieces, this comes as a set of it. Additionally, an iron holder is also provided to store them conveniently and compactly.
The upper layer of these coasters is made of ceramic, which helps keep your table clean and dry. Moreover, the base is made of cork to protect the table from scratches and tears.
Measuring 4 inches in diameter and weighing around 2 pounds, they are the perfect fit for most mugs, cups, and glasses.
- Durable and long-lasting
- Ceramic material absorbs water and other beverages in 10 to 15 seconds
- Features a coaster holder to store the coasters compactly
- Bright, vibrant, and colorful, they are a wonderful decor item
- Tend to break
7. Bower Studios Table Tiles
If you are looking for something interesting, eye-catching, and unique, you should go for this set of six geometric table tiles Designed by Bower for Areaware.
Firstly, they are available in 9 different colors, 4 different materials, and 5 different styles. Hard to find such variety in coasters!
They come in the shape of pentagons, and you can buy a bunch of them and style your dining table kitchen counter! Or, this set of six coasters can be artfully arranged to form a tiled trivet! The design and decor options are endless.
- Make great decor out of it
- Comes in a multitude of colors, materials, and styles
- Make a grand house-warming gift
- The Cork-lined base holds the coasters in place and protect the table surface
- Great look but there is one snag with functionality. Condensation from a chilled beverage causes it to stick to the bottom of the glass.
8. Waterford Crystal Heritage Wine Bottle Coaster
Measuring 5 inches and standing 1.5 inches tall, these coasters are perfectly tailored for holding wine bottles. Made of crystal, the look and finish are remarkably impressive!
It features vertical cuts around the rim and 16 starburst leaf cuts on the bottom of the coaster. While these are extraordinary to look at, they also protect your bottle of wine and the furniture underneath from condensation and spills.
This comes as just one wine coaster, not as a set of 4 or 6 like other coasters.
Waterford crystal coasters are shiny, sparkly, and simply splendid!
- Made of lead crystal, these coasters are surprisingly durable
- Tailored for wine bottles
- Synonymous with glass, sophistication, and quality
- Catches condensation from your wine bottle
- Expensive. For just one coaster, you can get a set of 4 or 6 from other brands.
9. Cork & Mill Marble Coasters
Marble and brass combine delightfully to give these splendid coasters. These 4 inch stone coasters are mildly absorbent to prevent small drips and condensation. The soft backing underside covering offers protection from scratches.
These coasters are crafted from authentic solid marble which ensures that the coasters don’t stick to the bottom of your glasses. Unlike aux ceramic and leather coasters, these coasters are built to stand the test of time.
- Great value for money
- Made of genuine solid marble
- The soft backing prevents scratches on the bar
- The major downside to these coasters is that they are only mildly absorbent.
10. Blue Agate Coasters Set
It is no wonder that agate coasters are super popular! They have been coveted by royalty for thousands of years to make jewelry and home decors. They add bright colors and bring a vibrant and positive energy to your home space.
Carved from Geode rocks and featuring a stunning blue color, the nature lover in you will love it! It also comes in brown, gray, and green colors.
These coasters measure around 4 inches, and no two coasters are alike. The green looks lovely, but azure blue with cyan accents is the best of the lot and would look lovely against dark wood.
- The stunning look and vibrant colors
- Energetic aura
- Next to no absorption
11. Braided drink coasters from XIAMOOR
At 8 mm thick and 4.3 inches in diameter, these coasters are not just thicker and bigger than regular coasters, but they are also more absorbent and heat-insulated than cork coasters. Crafted out of cotton yarn, they are built to last for years!
Environment-friendly, protect your table at no cost to the environment! Environmental enthusiasts and nature-lovers take note!
You can use them as coasters, trivets, or pot holders too. Easy to clean, they have an advantage over cork coasters on the maintenance aspect. They came as a set of 6 soothing coasters.
- Made of cotton; environment-friendly
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Thicker, bigger and more absorbent and heat-resistant than cork coasters
- The coasters come in different sizes.
12. Thipoten Leather Coasters
There’s no denying the appeal of leather. PU leather coasters from Thipoten reeks of class and sophistication, yet it is simplicity itself. This set of 6 leather coasters are patterned with white threads that look incredibly stylish.
At almost 4 inches, these leather coasters are lightweight, durable, and easy to clean. Moreover, they are water-resistant, so they will protect your treasured tables and kitchen tops from damage and beverage stains.
Remember, you cannot go wrong with leather!
- Reduces annoying spills
- Classy and stylish gift option
- Superb quality
- Lightweight and easy to clean
- Last long
- Comes in 4 wonderful colors: black, white, gray, and brown.
- They tend to stick to the glassware.
13. Barvivo Drink Coasters
Classy and elegant, these coasters do what coasters are supposed to do. These coasters are non-slip, which means your drink will not slide off the table, creating a mess on your beautiful floor! These coasters feature triangle ridges to ensure that it won’t stick to your glass, which can be totally annoying! And most importantly, they will protect your table from spills and stains.
It comes as a set of 8 amazing coasters, all of which can be held compactly and conveniently in a practical holder. They come in 2 colors: black and gray and measure 4.92 x 4.92 x 1.97 inches.
Made from premium quality silicone, these coasters boast of fuss-free maintenance. Just throw them in the dishwasher, and it will do the job for you!
What more, you ask? There is more, in fact! These multi-functional coasters can also be used as trivets or jar openers!
- Does not stick to your glass
- Protects furniture from spills and stains
- Comes as a set of 8 pieces
- Multi-functional: Can be used as trivets or jar openers
- Can be used for hot or cold beverages
If you have gone through this extensive list, you would know that coasters come in different sizes, shapes, and materials. Most of the coasters on this list are around the standard 4-inch diameter mark, perfect for holding cocktail glasses, wine glasses, beer cups, tea, and coffee mugs.
Ceramic, silicone, and marble are predominantly the materials that go into making these tiles. There are options in crystal, wood, leather, cotton, and other stuff too. Crystal coasters, while stunning to look at, are expensive. Ceramic and silicone are great options.
If you are looking for hassle-free maintenance- there are a few on there that are dishwasher-friendly, so check them out.
Agave coasters are great on looks, but they offer next to no absorption, so if the functionality doesn’t matter, just the aesthetics, you can buy this one.
There are a couple of options in this list that are environmental-friendly, and so will appeal to nature lovers.
Among the marble coasters, Crate and Barrel is the best option. Thirstystone is the best overall, but Enskore, Barvivo, and Lifver are all great choices too.
Nothing can be more annoying and disappointing than your favorite drink sliding onto the floor. Equally devastating can be your delightful wooden table, that you bought with so much love, stained all over because of condensation and spills from your drinks.
So, buy a coaster that will protect your furniture while elevating your drinking experience!