The craft beer scene is kicking and thriving more than ever. But there is something very satisfying and soul-fulfilling about brewing your favorite suds at home.
Whether you are new to the homebrewing scene or have some experience and want to kick things up a notch to become a master brewer, there is plenty of starter and advanced options available in the market to make your home brewing dreams come alive!
We have curated this list featuring some of the best home brewing kits that will aid you in brewing, fermenting, bottling (in many cases), testing, and enjoying your beer in the comfort of your home.
Disclosure: This is a reader-supported site. If you purchase a product through our affiliate links on this page, we may earn a commission at no cost to you, which helps us to bring you more free guides.
11 Best Home Brewing Kits
🍺 Editor’s Pick: The best home brewing kit for the serious beer enthusiast
Yield: 5 gallons of beer
Types of beer: Block Party Amber Ale
Comes with: Hank’s Hefeweizen recipe kit, a hydrometer, a test jar, a thermometer, 6.5-gallon fermenter with Spigot, lid & Bubbler airlock, bottling bucket with spigot, a bottle filler, 5-gallon stainless brew kettle, a spoon, a sanitizer, oxygen wash, bottle brush, bottle capper and more basic brewing equipment.
If you are eager to dive into the world of homebrewing, then the top-rated Northern Homebrew Starter Kit is a great place to start. Northern Brewer’s all-in-one kit offers everything you need to brew 5 gallons of beer (or 50 twelve ounce bottles.) They also have a great support system and make the brewing process easier and interesting through digital manuals and online videos.
- Has everything needed to brew beer at home
- All the equipment is of high quality.
- The instructions are simple and straightforward
- Online tutorials Yield the process easier
- Excellent value for money
- If you are not into Amber Ale, this kit is not of much use to you.
🍺 Easiest for Beginner Brewers: The fastest way to brew for beginners
Yield: 2 gallons of beer
Types of beer: Hundreds of options
Comes with: A compact, lightweight fermenter, the Mr. Beer Craft Brewing Kit is the best home brewing kit for those new to brewing. Eleven 25-ounce reusable and shatterproof bottles for carbonating the beer, a can of brewing extract that is a concentrated form of all-natural malted barley and hops, a no-rinse Cleanser, unique carbonation drops, and more.
If you are interested in starting with home brewing but have neither the time nor the inclination to put in a lot of effort in learning the intricacies of the art, this best-selling brewing kit is ideal for you. Step by step instructions are easy to follow, and it comes with simple ingredients. The final product is super satisfactory. You can get your brew done within 30 minutes flat! Plus, your beer will be fermented in 10 to 14 days and ready to drink a week or two later.
- Takes just 30 minutes to brew!
- The instructions are easy to follow, and the equipment is easy to use
- Affordable cost
- Multi-functional 2-gallon fermenter for easy brewing featuring built-in airlock, UV-resistant, a locking spigot for effortless bottling, and a built-in collector.
- All the equipment is of high quality.
- Not for the serious beer snob or purist
- Fermenting jugs is prone to leaks
🍺 Best Budget Home Brewing Kit: Super affordable home brewing kits for simple beer crafting
Yield: 25 pints
Types of beer: Pale Ale, Golden Ale, Dark Ale, Season IPA
Comes with: Brewing bag, caps, dried yeast packet, hopped malt extract
The Muntons Craft Beer in a Bag home brewing kit was developed in collaboration between Nottingham Trent University and the University of Nottingham in England. This is a great option for those who are looking for a fuss-free method of making beer. But if you are into the creative process of brewing, someone who enjoys the whole process of blending, measuring, and stirring of brewing a beer at home.
The brewing process is super simple. Just add water and the dried yeast provided into a bag, and within a month, you will have 25 pints of dark ale with 4.2% ABV.
- Easy and fuss-free option to brew craft beer
- No other equipment is necessary
- Super affordable
- At 25 pints, the quantity is less in comparison to other kits
- If you enjoy the intricate process of making beer, this may not be the option for you
🍺 Alternative Budget Option: An affordable small-batch kit with reusable equipment
Yield: 1 gallon (9-10 12-ounce bottles)
Types of beer: Various types of beer
Comes with: IPA making mix, a reusable 1-gallon glass fermenter, a racking cane, a thermometer, a screw can stopper, airlock, cleanser, and more.
The Brooklyn Brew Shop Beer Making Kit is an all-grain beer making kit used for making small batches of beer in 6 easy steps right on the stovetop of your kitchen. The step by step instructions and videos will further simplify the process of making those delicious IPAs with 6.8 ABV!
All the equipment and ingredients, including grain, hop, and yeast, are provided in the recipe kit. The only things missing are strainer, funnel, pot, and bottles. You can choose from flavors like Grapefruit Honey Ale, Everyday IPA Beer, Chestnut Brown Ale, Chocolate Maple Porter, and Jalapeno Saison.
- You can make a slew of craft ale recipes
- The equipment is reusable
- No sugary malt extracts, just real grains
- Easy to follow videos and instructions
- Yield only a gallon of beer
- Does not include strainer, funnel, pot, and bottles; you must buy them separately
🍺 Basic Starter: Devilishly good design with conical fermenter
Yield: 2 gallons
Types of beer: various beers and ciders
Comes with: Conical fermenter, a venting system, flow spigot, temperature gauge, recipe, ingredients, a dozen bottles, caps, labels, bottle filler, and more.
The BrewDemon Craft Beer Brewing Kit really stands out from other home brewing kits by featuring a conical system typically used in large commercial breweries. The hand-crafted beer recipes hail from New Zealand’s highly reputed Speights brewery. The beer can be brewed in less than 15 minutes, leaving you time to tweak and customize the recipe to your taste.
The 2-gallon conical fermenting system is reusable and is easy to operate and clean. The smooth inner surface and translucent amber finish allow you to watch what is happening inside while protecting the content from harmful UV rays.
- Features a conical fermenter eliminates sediments, producing clearer and great-tasting brew.
- Yield 2 gallons of beer in as little as 15 minutes
- No separate equipment is needed to brew
- Not a great product for people who want to learn the intricate details of brewing.
🍺 Best German-style Hefeweizen home brewing kit
Yield: 1 gallon
Type of beer: German Hefeweizen
Comes with: 1-gallon capacity carboy, a funnel, a racking cane, a rubber stopper, transfer tubing, an airlock, a thermometer, a craft brewing guide, a sanitizer, and Hefeweizen recipe kit.
Brew a gallon of refreshing, silky smooth Hefeweizen with the Craft A Brew Home Brewing Kit. You can brew like a professional brewer and make a gallon of Hefeweizen with the reusable equipment. This means with the same equipment, you can try out other craft brew fresh packet ingredients like malty red ale, Belgian Abbey beers, and more. Also included in the home brew starter kit is a general guide to learn more about craft brewing.
- Reusable equipment
- Includes an interesting guide of craft brewing
- Few customers received the pack with components broken
- Customers service seems to be a bit non-responsive
🍺 Best root beer brewing kit
Yield: 2 gallons
Type of beer: Root beer
Comes with: 1 bottle of Root Beer Extract, 2 flavor crystals packets, a Root Beer yeast packet, a packet of no-rinse cleanser, 4 Plastic 1-liter Bottles with caps and labels, a funnel instruction sheet, and an easy to follow and fun guide. All the essential brewing equipment you need to get started making your own root beer at home.
If root beer is your thing, then the Mr. Root Beer Home Brewing Root Beer Kit is a must-purchase. It allows you to make an impressive 2 gallons of creamy old-fashioned root beer. There is no need to wait around for weeks or a month either. You can enjoy creamy and delicious root beer in just 3 days!
The process of brewing this non-alcoholic beer is simple too. All you need to do is pour the ingredients packet along with water into bottles, cap them and wait for a couple of days. Natural carbonation happens, allowing you to enjoy creamy root beer just the way you love it!
- Easy process
- Wait time is just 3 days to enjoy the tasty root beer
- It yields 2 gallons of root beer
- A fun means for kids to get to brew
- Some users raised concerns that the root beer they brewed with this starter kit was too yeasty
- A few users also reported problems with the beer not carbonating
🍺 Premium High-tech brewing kit
Yield: 5 liters (13 twelve-ounce bottles)
Variety of beer: Wide-ranging
Comes with: Only the brewing appliance including PicoBrew Pico C brewing machine, Pico C brew keg, keg cozy, 5L serving keg and dispensing bung plug, racking tube, cleaning tab, bucket, hops pack cradle, step filter, and lid and quick start guide.
This brewing appliance comes only with the equipment to brew the beer. You will have to purchase the Pico Pak that contains the perfect ratio of grains, hops, and yeast separately. It is an expensive option, but it does all the tough work for you while letting you enjoy a huge variety of craft beers.
It is a great option to enjoy your favorite brew from your beloved brewery. Pico C is a cleaner and effortless way of brewing beer. It needs very little intervention and effort from your end. All you have to do is choose the ABV and bitterness level and push the Brew button. You will have to add the yeast after a couple of hours, and then your beer will be ready in another couple of hours. The built-in steam cleaning will take care of the cleaning part. Further, all the components are dishwasher-friendly.
After fermentation and carbonation, your beer will be ready in 10 to 14 days.
- Can brew 100s of beers from the best breweries around the country
- Effortless brewing and cleaning
- You can customize the strength and bitterness to your preference
- You can monitor the brewing process with any device with internet
- Fully automatic craft beer brewing appliance
- Features sous vide cooker!
- Takes the fun out of the elaborate brewing process
- Occupies a lot of space
🍺 Best large-batch home brewing kit
Yield: 5 gallons
Beer Varieties: Wide range of beers and ciders
Comes with: 7.8-gallon fermenting bucket, true brew rack and fill kit, a 5-gallon glass carboy, small buon vino drilled stopper, hydrometer, bottling Spigot, an airlock, a bottle brush, 8-pack c-brite sanitizer, true brew handbook, recipe kit instructions, and more.
The possibilities are endless with what you can brew out of the Home Brew Ohio kit! It includes a recipe book, and you can try out the slew of recipes listed there. While most kits allow you to brew a gallon or two of beer, with this, you can brew a hefty 5 gallons! This is not exactly a basic kit, but if you have already brewed at home before, this will work wonders for you. If required, purchase a large pot, a mesh strainer, and a digital thermometer, and you are good to go!
- You get access to a wide array of recipes, so plenty to try out!
- The fermenting bucket is larger
- It allows you to brew 5 gallons as opposed to 1 or 2
- Easy and effortless to brew with this kit
- A few essential items like a digital thermometer, strainer, and others are not included.
🍺 Advanced Brewing Kit
Yield: 6 gallons
Variety of beer: Various
Comes with: Electric heating element, control box, grain basket, wort chiller, a 6 watt, 1,800 RPM magnetic powered pump, etc.
The Grainfather Connect Complete All in One is an advanced brewing system with which you can brew frequently. The electric-powered system has easy-to-follow instructions, and the process of brewing can be done in 20 minutes. Made of high-quality 304-grade stainless steel, give 6 gallons with one brew and hold 8 gallons of brew at a time. This homebrew starter kit, however, is for the more advanced homebrewer.
You can hook this advanced system to the Connect App to communicate and connect with the Grainfather Brewing Community for beer-brewing tips and recipes. Through the control box Bluetooth connection, connect to your smart device, and Grainfather Connect App. This way, you can keep tabs on your beer as it is brewing and then do the next step after receiving an alert.
- You can brew a staggering 6 gallons of your favorite beer
- Advanced, automated, and easy to monitor
- Great customer support
- Innovative features for the ultimate brewing experience and remote monitoring of brewing
- Intuitive and straightforward design
- Made from high quality durable stainless steel
- This is more suited for a more experienced homebrewer
- Few component defects faced by several users
🍺 Automated Home Beer Brewing Kit
Yield: 2.6 gallons
Type of beer: Range of hops from BrewArt including American Pale Ale; can also customize your own recipe
Comes with: The fully automated brewing device including equipment and ingredients
With the fully automated and Wi-Fi-connected Beer Droid brewing system, you can brew up to 10 liters of premium quality beer with the press of a button. You can monitor your brew from anywhere with the BrewArt app, letting you know when your brew is ready for the keg. Plus, you will also get notified when any brewing milestones are reached, and you can give yourself a pat on the back!
Not only is it super-functional, but it looks amazing as well! Moreover, the LCD screen enables you to check in on your brew, modify the temperatures, and customize your beer to your taste and preference.
An interesting aspect of this is that it features a pre-programmed beer-making manual called BrewPrints, formulated by master brewers. These BrewPrints are automatically downloaded to the device when you start to brew with the BeerDroid app. This kit comes with an American pale ale BrewPrint. Moreover, each recipe is made of 100 percent natural ingredients and free from any preservatives.
- Features an LCD screen to check the brewing status, control the temperature, and customize your brew.
- Can brew up to 10 liters of beer with simple push-button operation
- A stylish and aesthetically appealing option
- Helps make great tasting premium quality beer
- Remote monitoring of your brew
- Pour beer straight into the keg from the tap
- BrewPrints crafted by master brewers!
- The first fully automated personal brewer in the world
- On the pricey side
- Wi-Fi connectivity issues
If you have put off making your small batch of beers at home either because of the fear of not getting it right, the difficulty of the process, or the mess you may end up creating, do not these aspects stop you anymore from whipping up your own beer at home. Many of these options come with detailed and easy to follow instructions to get it right on your very first attempt.
Ensure that the kit you are going to buy comes with most of this equipment: a large stockpot, a carboy (for fermentation), a bottling bucket with spigot, a metal spoon, a racking cane for transfer into the bottling bucket, a sanitizer, a waterproof thermometer, a hydrometer (if brewing from a grain), a bottle cleaning brush, filler and capper, and finally bottles, caps, and labels. The ingredients are important too, obviously. You may have to buy the latter separately.
Craft that perfect pint at home. Trust me, it will taste that much more delicious!
🍸 Read Our Other Bartender Buying Guides Next: